Monday, August 11, 2008

Assassin's Creed


Assassin’s Creed was definitely hyped at launch for its new game mechanics, like the free-running and the open environment. They’re definitely good, as it is incredibly “cool” when you jump across a gap between buildings for the first time. Or when you dive off a building and land safely in a pile of hay. And I loved it when I saved an innocent civilian from torture at the hands of the local guards. But there’s one thing I don’t get with this game: It’s incredibly easy. Once you gain the ability to counterattack, the game loses its challenge. I found myself taking on more than ten enemies, and winning easily. It’s so easy, it even feels like you’re cheating. The final battle is harder, but it’s still not what I would call hard. But there is one thing that saves this game: the visuals. The game world is so believable that I found myself forgetting the flaws and just enjoying the game. The story is good too, with some interesting plot twists that you don’t see coming, in addition to the ones that the story tells if you pay close attention. I found that if I treated the game more as an interactive movie, it all made sense – especially if Altaïr was the Jackie Chan of the Crusades.


My verdict: 8/10


Pros: Open world, good story, good visuals, free-running is cool.

Cons: Way too easy

Bottom line: The game you want if you enjoy being an ethical assassin.

No comments: